Linkbuilding plays an important role in search engine rankings. In our article we will teach you how to become true masters of backlinks!
What is a quality backlink and what are its features?
Ideally, each backlink meets the following 5 things:
- Suitable anchor text
- Real people walk through it
Relevance means that backlinks are formed between topics that are close and intersect in content, so they are meaningful and seamlessly related.
By Credibility, we mean that the link leads from a domain for which there is no doubt or suspicion of unfair or otherwise unreliable activity of such a domain.
Visibility means that the active link leads best from the main content block. Footers or sidebars are therefore not a very optimal form of solution.
Appropriate anchor text looks like it gives the user a more specific idea of what awaits them by clicking on the page. Anchor texts such as “here” or “come here” do not tell the user much in advance. And as we know, none of the Internet users also like clicking on a link that, as a result, did not meet what he pretended to do in his anchor text.
Real people walk through it, that’s just the right logical outcome of the above-mentioned aspects. In addition, this is the whole basis of link building – through backlinks, people go to your specific site.
Relationship between linkbuilding and SEO
Backlinks belong to a group of so-called off-page factors (what happens “off the web page”) and are one of the most important signals for ranking and ranking search results.
Here we focus mainly on external linkbuilding, but equally important is internal linkbuilding, which helps visitors navigate the site and leads them to relevant pages that are related to the content they are looking for.
Importance of Google Penguin Update
Thanks to updates such as the Google Penguin Update, Google has focused primarily on the quality of backlinks. The first version of the Penguin algorithm was launched on April 24, 2012 and affected 3.1% of English search queries. Since then, 10 updates have been made, and in September 2016, Google announced that Penguin Update was part of the main algorithm.
Penguin (“Penguin”) focuses on fraudulent practices with links. These can degrade a site’s ranking in search results. This includes, for example, selling and buying links that pass PageRank. In 1997, PageRank was designed by students Sergey Brin and Larry Page as part of their research project at Stanford University. They were based on the idea that the meaning of a website could be determined by the pages from which the links led to it. Links are actually something like a vote. The idea comes from the academic environment: the more academic work refers to a given work, the more important it is.
Other fraudulent practices include large-scale link exchanges, marketing campaigns through articles on the Internet, or posts on third-party sites that include text links that contain many keywords, and the creation of links that are unrelated to the site’s content (often referred to as “unnatural links”). ).
What is a link profile
A link profile is a set of all backlinks leading to a given page (domain) and includes:
- the number and type of backlinks leading to the domain,
- their anchor lyrics,
- the way in which these links were obtained.
What is anchor text?
Anchor text is the descriptive text of a hypertext link, which indicates to the user and the search engine what content they will get to with the help of the link. “. The words in the link are a promise of what is on the other side of the link, so they should be highly relevant.
Excessive optimization of anchor text can result in manual action against the site or a decrease in placement in search results. In its Quality Guidelines, Google draws attention to links with optimized link text in articles or press releases distributed on other sites.
Is anchor text an evaluation factor?
Google’s John Mueller confirms that anchor text is useful for context recognition. To the question “Is anchor text still an evaluation factor in 2019”, he avoids a direct answer: “As for anchor text as such, we really use it … It’s something we notice. It’s a great way to bring us closer to the context that surrounds the link, especially on your site. ”
Tips for tools for working with the link profile
Of course, it is necessary to work with the link profile on an ongoing basis. To this end, there are various tools to help us assess the strength of a domain and its referential profile.
Ahrefs uses Domain Rating (shows the strength of the backlinks profile on the destination site on a logarithmic scale from 0 to 100),
Majestic SEO has Citation Flow and Trust Flow metrics that estimate the “strength” that a link transmits, its quality, and its credibility.
Link Explorer from Moz uses the Domain Authority, which predicts how well a site will perform in search engine rankings.
These metrics are sufficient for a rough estimate of the quality of the site, but we must not forget a more comprehensive approach and take into account other factors and metrics.
Thematic information portals
How to find a link opportunity in an already published external article?
The best method is to have a handy tool at hand that will speed you up a lot and at the same time prepare you for access to information. At SeoJoule, we use our own Tracker tool, which was developed exclusively for us by our developers. As part of linkbuilding, Tracker can do things that we dare say you won’t find in a public online space. My colleague Mirek wrote a separate article about what the practice with Tracker looks like when looking for link opportunities!
If you do not have any tools, of course, the classic option of manual data collection and their subsequent – also manual – filtering and evaluation is offered. But it, in turn, requires more time, concentration, and the art of thinking on multiple levels.
How to arrange the publication of a new article?
From time to time, you will want to place not only a backlink to your site on the selected website, but also the entire article with the link. Below we outline the procedure for arranging the publication of a new article so that it is traceable and does good SEO.
1. First of all, you need to think about which portal is really suitable for you. Primarily, you will want to publish an article where similar articles have already been published, or where there are relatively enough listings (sections, tags) corresponding to your topic.
2. If you have selected a suitable portal, continue by contacting it, ideally by phone. If you can’t find the phone contact on the site, try contacting the domain owner.
3. In the next step, try to agree on a better price and conditions. However, you should have several arguments in reserve for this purpose, such as:
- An external link to your site will not be placed until the end.
- you will use internal links to other articles of the selected website in your article and thus we will support them,
- “I don’t want to buy something I don’t know anything about, discount it!” – you will use the argument if the counterparty is not able to guarantee a certain performance, resp. readability of the article, if any
- you offer content written for users without a core PR nature.
How to prepare a new content article for publication?
Think about 3 important aspects at the outset.
- Where will your article be visible everywhere?
- Article content
- Landing page to which the backlink leads
Where will your article be visible ?
- Sections and tags – make sure that the editors include and link your article on their portal appropriately.
- Links from other editorial articles on the portal – find out via Google and work with operators such as site, inurl, intitle, etc. thematic articles from which you tell the editors to link back to your new published article. He will get links, but at the same time the whole domain will get a better reputation, ie a win-win solution.
- Refer from it internally to other articles – the rule is to adhere to the thematic and benefit the readers.
- Link externally to editorials of other portals – the same rule applies as for the bullet above. If they elaborate on any of the sub-topics of your main topic, feel free to refer to it. You get good points from search engines.
- Link to your site from the article with only a minimum of backlinks – preferably only 1 link and select the appropriate anchor text. Which can be the name of your business, or a frequent synonym for focusing an article.
Your landing page to which the backlink will lead
Thoroughly verify that the landing page has the appropriate quality and timeliness of the essential information.
- Content quality – all information should be properly structured.
- Adequate Conversion Capability – The page should contain the appropriate elements to convert.
A small excursion into the history of catalogs
The reason for the creation of catalogs in the past, from a general point of view, was the effort to group the websites that existed on the Internet at that time. In the beginning of the existence of the Internet, there were no search engines, they were created later. Over time, however, catalogs have become more of a tool for webmasters and marketers to improve the position of their sites.
Registration in catalogs had a significant effect on the search engine rankings of the site – the more links to the site, the better. As a result, certain sites were registered in thousands of catalogs, and although they were often unvisited and insignificant catalogs, such sites could relatively easily overtake the competition, which built its link profile honestly.
But then came the bad times for catalogs, which were triggered by algorithm such as Penguin from Google. You started penalizing for an unhealthy link profile. So the question arises – does it still make sense to register in the catalogs?
Types of branch catalogs
There are a number of catalogs and according to the specialization, they can be divided into the following three basic categories:
- General (they do not deal with any specific field)
- Field (catalogs dedicated to just one field; eg universities.com)
- Special (catalogs collect links only to certain formats or types of content; eg googleshopping.com)
It makes sense to search for catalogs that do not necessarily try to include everything, but specialize in a particular field, area or location. The most beneficial are industry catalogs, which can be easily found in a search engine by entering a keyword related to your field. Links from such catalogs rank search engines better because, among other things, they assess the relationship between the focus of the catalog and the topic of the content of your site.
Definitely not worth trying for a hasty registration in everything that looks like a catalog. Registration to 10 (or less) catalogs is often enough to bring you some benefit. However, it is important to choose the right ones.
How do I recognize quality catalog?
It is necessary to look at the issue from the perspective of users – so check that the catalog contains a database of links to quality and proven sites and that it is actually used to find them. In other words – the catalog must serve primarily for the needs of users, not just for SEO.
So in case you come across a catalog, decide mainly according to the following criteria:
- visual appearance,
- functionality and usability for users a
- the relevance of the catalog to your content; if the catalog contains only very general sections, it doesn’t make much sense to register for it.
Cooperation with suppliers and business partners
In some cases, it is not necessary to search for sites to place a backlink, but it is enough to skillfully benefit from the implemented collaborations. If you have worked with any suitable and reliable suppliers, we can try to offer them a reference in exchange for putting it on their site and referring us to us.
It is possible to proceed similarly with business partners. Due to the fact that these are often non-thematic websites, logo referencing from the “partners” section or from the “about us” page is used. If possible, you should promote text describing the nature of this partnership near the backlink.
Broken linkbuilding is one method of getting backlinks; as one of the few, it is considered by Google to be White Hat, ie suitable. The principle is that on certain websites (preferably authoritative and dealing with a similar field) we look for broken links, so-called broken links, to non-existent domains. The goal is to offer the website owner a link to their own content, which will replace the non-functional one.
If you find a broken link to a page (from your field) with content that you don’t already have, you will also receive useful suggestions for developing your own content. And how to find such broken links? You will find out in the following lines, where we will list some tools that can be used for broken linkbuilding.
Broken link search tools
Of course, there are many tools for finding broken links. However, we will list the most famous ones, and we have personal experience with some of them. The most used ones include:
It is also possible to use the following:
- Check My Links (Google Chrome plugin)
- Broken Link Finder (SW specializing in finding broken links)
- Screaming Frog (a tool for determining which pages match a 404 error message)
- Broken Link Checker (a simple online tool for finding broken links)
Don’t forget to keep your site’s website checked for links that return a status code of 404. As the saying goes, “It’s usually the darkest under a candlestick.”
Microwebs (minisites) from the point of view of SEO and linkbuilding
A microweb (microsite or minisite) is a stand-alone web project that specializes in presenting a specific service, event, or used to promote a specific product or product line.
Disadvantages of microweb
You need to consider whether the benefits of microwebs in terms of traffic and brand awareness outweigh its disadvantages, including starting from scratch in terms of SEO.
Search engines need some time to discover, index, and index a new site, and it often takes longer for them to be relevant so that it can rank well in searches. If the microweb is to support the main site, you have to create quality content for it and build a link profile – actually do the same as for the main site. However, all this takes time and considerable effort. Rarely does a microweb become an authoritative resource for search engines.
Advantages of microweb
New product launch
Whenever a new product is launched, promotional campaigns are launched to generate interest among potential customers. Those who want to learn more detailed information about the product can be redirected to a microweb, where they will find all the necessary information and engaging multimedia content.
Acquiring potential customers
You can use the microweb to capture potential customers who have already shown interest in your product (or service). There is a good chance that these interested parties will turn into customers.
- An example is the microweb of the German car manufacturer Audi, which was created for Indian customers. As soon as the user clicks on the ad in the search, he gets to the microweb, which has a simple interface and a form through which you can book a test drive in the selected type of vehicle.
There are various types of events and campaigns that companies regularly organize to raise awareness of their brand (or promote business). Detailed information about the event together with the registration can be found on the microweb, which, unlike the company website, you can edit as needed.
And what does it look like in practice? See how we created a microsite related to the promotion of the international conference ICTIMT 2021 for our important client, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, CTU.
Microwebs are great for promoting a brand, products, services and events. They give you space for their layout and appearance. They can also generate leads along with paid campaigns. On the other hand, microwebs require a lot of time and effort, so it is necessary to sufficiently consider all the pros and cons.
Linkbaiting is a term for a passive form of linkbuilding that allows people to link to you in a natural way. The principle of linkbaiting is to create high-quality and interesting content with the greatest possible benefit for web visitors. The greater the benefits they see in it, the more they share it, and consequently increases traffic to your site.
It necessarily follows from the above that the content must be something special and must be able to engage. An example is an article; it can be:
- controversial, sparking discussion,
- funny or playful,
- funny, humorous,
- actual etc.
However, the content does not only hide articles, but it can also be various online tools, calculators, quizzes, statistics, multimedia content, flash games, etc.
The importance of brand mentions and how to work with them
What is a brand mention?
An unlinked brand mention is an online mention of a brand or anything related to it that does not link to your site. Among other things, Google’s 2014 patent says that Google also assesses the authority of domain references that are non-hyperlinked. He calls them “implied links”. Although it attaches some value to such a mention, the main off-page factor remains express links. Therefore, if you find the presence of a mention of your brand on a website, ask its owner for a link. Your advantage is that the author of the mention already knows about you, so you have a great opportunity to address him and persuade him to make it a regular reference.
Discussions and forums
Placing backlinks in online discussion forums can be a powerful weapon in SEO. However, this is a technique that search engines look at with some reluctance, so it needs to be optimized.
Initially, you need to select suitable forums:
- forums that provide valuable advice to users,
- forums where you already have an account with some history; it should be borne in mind here that some discussion forums do not allow you to contribute to the threads without a profile,
- forums with interesting threads; in any case, you have to be thematic, because search engines evaluate the context around the link.
If you have selected forums, you can then make fun. You should emphasize the nature of the posts in the threads. The purpose of online discussion forums is primarily to advise and help incoming users, not to promote or sell. So you have to find a kind of intersection of two levels – on the one hand to be valuable and helpful in the discussion, on the other hand to do effective linkbuilding or brandbuilding at the same time.